Tuesday, October 13, 2009

2009 Mt Kinabalu Climathon - dare you take up the challenge?


Publicity poster on Mt. Kinabalu Climbaton

Want bragging rights when you meet friends for coffee? Then take part in this year' s Mt Kinabalu Climbathon in Sabah. No, there's no need to bring any climbing gear. Just your running shorts and shoes will do.

The 2008 champion for running up AND down Mt Kinabalu clocked two hours 44 mins 47 sec

I took about 8 hours just to reach the top but these guys are running up and down in less than 3 hours. Amazing!

FYI, Mt Kinabalu is about 4000 m high, and the total distance for the race is 21 km.

If you decide to quit the race halfway, it's OK. At least the view from the top is spectacular.

4 comments:

  1. 21 km in 3 hours. WOW! That's INSANE.

    Roger, you conquered Mt. Kinabalu? IMPRESSIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you have to do is just keep on walking up and up and up. But the steps seem endless. This is nothing compared to the Kadazan. I saw them going up Mt Kinabalu carrying gas tanks, furniture etc. That's why they are short and fair people theorised some locals. Fair because they live in mountainous areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, my life is way too dull. I need to do something like that. I understand the climbing expedition to Mount Kinabalu is fully booked for another three more years. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Mt Everest has a long waiting list but I don't think Mt Kinabalu is in the same league. I told Uncle Harry,"I shall return" as there are still many wonderful places in Sabah I've yet to explore. Hopefully, the train service will have been restored next year (I love to ride on old-fashioned trains).

    ReplyDelete