Monday, September 7, 2009

10 rules to stay safe on your travels Part 3


Rule 6
When you're attacked what's your natural reaction? To scream, right? We all assume we can scream. But when you're paralysed with fear, no sound may come out no matter how big you open your mouth!
If you want to know what a real scream is, just drop a cockroach into your sister's or girlfriend's handbag, and patiently wait for the free demonstration.
A much better strategy is to get a personal attack alarm as shown in the pic. It fits snugly into the palm of my hand, and all I've to do is pull out the cord at the bottom, and the loud piercing sound will wake up the whole neighbourhood.
Once I accidentally activated the alarm in a hotel lobby in Indonesia. Suddenly everybody looked worried. The hotel staff even looked around the potted plants!
The alarm costs SGD $12 but if this is too much for you, get a simple whistle. I carry a whistle as well, and it always hangs conspicuously on my bagpack.
Stay safe, friends.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I did not expect Roger to carry a personal alarm!

    If I'm attacked, I'll fend it off or scream like a little girl!! Nah....actually, the best thing to do is to let the 'attacker' or robber to take my precious belongings. No point sounding an alarm or fighting it off.

    In Malaysia, you'll be slap, kick or worse stab with knife if you try to alert passerby or fight them off. Most of them are drug addicts. I feel sad for the victims laying in coma due to the extent of the injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drug addicts are ruthless aren't they? I'll do the same and give them my wallet or belongings and unless threatened with serious injury one has to fight back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone has other ways to stay safe please share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. erm.... well lucky i dont need the alarm!! as i always look like a local wherever i go XD even in the philippines, states and even europe... to prove that?? well tourists keep asking me the direction of train station, the popular tourist spots, blablabla :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fufu, you are fortunate to have looks that help you to blend in the crowd! Lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please tell me where to buy the alarm? I can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kym, you can buy it at Mustafa (on the level where they sell hardware)

    ReplyDelete