Thursday, November 12, 2009

Life in Vientiane, Laos


When there are no great tourist attractions, most travellers will dismiss the place as "nothing much, nothing to see". But for me the local people and their culture are interesting enough if one keeps an open mind.

I bring you some snapshots of life in Vientiane.

A man selling flowers from the cart attached to his bike.


This is the way they sell fruits in Laos.

Cycling around the city, I chanced upon this school and rode in to have a closer look. You are looking at Laos' future.

Being one of the poorest countries in the world, child labour is common in Laos. This boy is hawking "keropok".


While children in richer countries are playing with their PSP and computer games, these kids labour in the market every day.


3 comments:

  1. I always complain about my own problems. Your pictures and descriptions about these poor kids in Laos brings me back to reality.

    It saddens me to see young kids laboring on the street.

    I wonder why is life so unfair, why others still happy and rich and why others suffering and poor....

    mylo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the dualisitc nature of life, isn't it? We try to lessen suffering in our own little ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True!

    I always wanted to give back to the society and make myself useful. I've been saying that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete