Friday, February 19, 2010

Hainan Holiday: Tomb of Hairui and Wugong Temple in Haikou

I've always wondered why my parents gave me the Chinese name "Rui", which is a rare name for Chinese, until I went to Hainan, then I understood.

Apparently I was named after Hairui who was a high-ranking official during the Ming Dynasty. For his outspokenness he was banished to Hainan. Today, The Tomb of Hairui, is a must-see for most tourists.









                              Hairui
                              Hairui, famous for his incorruptibility.




Aside from Hairui Tomb, the other well-known historical site is Wugong Temple (5 Officials Temple).

Both are in Haikou, the capital of Hainan, and easy for a DIY trip. I took a 1 yuan bus to these two places. Hairu Tomb is bit further away on the outskirts (about 30 mins bus ride) but Wugong is a mere 15 minutes away from central Haikou.

4 comments:

  1. nice pics you got..nice postings too---brief yet informative..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great travel you have there. You fill up the gaps in my own travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics. Ming Dynasty Tombs are the thirteen Tombs of the Ming Empire.This location was cautiously selected as per the Feng Shui principles.It is a valley that has water and other necessities as per Feng Shui.You can see Shengong Shengde Stele Pavilion, huge tortoise shaped dragon-beast of 50 tonfour pillars made up of white marble called Huabiao.For more details refer The Ming Dynasty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ricky. You're right. I recall that there's a tortoise supporting a steele.

    ReplyDelete