Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nigerian Scams

Mention "Nigeria" and most people associate the country with scams.

One day, I received an e-mail purportedly from a Nigerian girl together with her photo. She looked prettty by Nigerian standards, and I guess she'd have easily sent Nigerian men's
pulse racing.

In her rather long e-mail she bemoaned how her father had to remain in prison because her family had no money to secure his release. Could I help? All I had to do was to deposit some money in a bank account.

Her liberal use of expressions of endearments was calculated to soften my heart, calling me "my love", "my darling" but the total effect would have been the same if a gorilla was capable of speech and spouted the same endearments.


Most Nigerian scams target a person's greed, telling him that he had won a lottery or could share in a huge windfall provided he sent over some money to cover administrative costs or legal paperwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment